Zucchini and Sun-Dried Tomato Frittata
I just adore good brunch fare. And nothing says brunch better than a fabulous frittata! Well…. No. I lied. A mimosa doesn’t just say brunch, it screams it! 😉 BUT a frittata comes close, right?
I absolutely love a protein packed breakfast to kick-start my day, and this frittata is only slightly naughty with the bit of cream and of course the ooey gooey cheese…. but it’s still healthy right?? That gorgeous zucchini and sweet sun-dried tomatoes just make this dish pop with flavor. And who doesn’t like fluffy eggs?? In actuality… I didn’t even make this for brunch or breakfast today. I made it for my late lunch! See…. it’s an all around perfect meal! 😉
What I also LOVE about this dish… is it’s one of those “clean her out” type of meals. And by “her” I mean Bertha The Refrigerator! lol You walk to the fridge on a lazy Sunday morning. You may or may not have a mimosa near by 🙂 You see that you have eggs and cheese… and now the hunt is on! You search through Bertha to see what she’s hiding! What will you find?? Well today Bertha had zucchini and sun-dried tomatoes. But sometimes she has fresh spinach, mushrooms, bacon, or even left-over steak!! YUM! You get the point… This dish is super versatile. Have fun with it. Use up your left over cooked broccoli…. or my favorite…. asparagus. Use whatever you have. I promise you’ll love it.
- 8 eggs
- ⅛ cup heavy cream or half and half
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 small zucchini, unpeeled, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl, until light and frothy. Stir in mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat, in a 10-inch oven-safe skillet. Sauté zucchini for 2 minutes on each side. Add sun-dried tomatoes and simmer until zucchini is tender. About 2-3 minutes more.
- Turn oven on to low broil. You want the oven to heat up while you cook the eggs.
- Pour egg mixture into pan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, uncovered. Cover and turn heat down to medium-low. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until eggs are just set.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top. Broil on low for 1 minute or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Let stand a minute or two before slicing and devouring 😉
Tools I used: